Sunday 18 March 2012

Brookfield CP - March 17th 2012

Had a terrific morning in the Brookfield CP near Blanchetown on Saturday morning, 17th March 2012. Arrived at the gate at 7:20am just after sunrise and drove in about 1km before stopping just passed the fenced section on the right. The park has clearly received some decent rain and the vegetation was in as good a condition as I have ever seen it. The weather was perfect, with hardly a cloud in the sky and it was clear from the beginning that the birding was going to be profitable.

I quickly identified three Honeyeater species - Spiny-cheeked, Singing, and White-fronted, followed by a Crested Bellbird (singing gloroiously from the tops of trees, but never staying too long in one position) and then a Grey Butcherbird. Little Ravens and Australian Magpies flew over at regular intervals, as did Mulga Parrots and Galahs. Chestnut-crowned Babblers played hide and seek with me through the bush until I came across a pair of Southern Scrub-Robins who eventually popped out to have a chat!



A number of Brown Treecreepers glided from tree to tree, and both Southern Whiteface and White-fronted Chats moved about the undergrowth in small flocks. My first Black-faced Woodswallows for the year then arrived, along with a pair of Mallee Ringnecks. They posed beautifully for me for a great photo.






Wandering on both sides of the road I then picked up Willy Wagtail, Striated Pardalote, Weebill, a gorgeous White-eared Honeyeater and then a small party of Purple-crowned Lorikeets flew overhead. At about 9:30am I headed towards the homestead and the attending dam. On the way I was surprised by a beautiful Spotted Harrier rising off the ground and flying directly across the road in front of me. A stunning bird! At the dam - which was dry, I spotted Crested Pigeon, Magpie Lark, Red Wattlebird and Noisy Miner.

Jumping back in the car I headed out on the main circuit until I reached the next major patch of scrub on the left. I bumped into a couple of other birders and we passed on the obligatory info as to what we had seen so far! I then headed into the scrub. It was much quieter now, but I was still able to spot Yellow-plumed Honeyeater, a large flock of White-browed Woodswallows (probably my favourite WS), a couple of Common Bronzewing and White-winged Fairywrens (gorgeous bird!).

Headed back along the track at 10:30am, and snaffled both the Grassland Pipit and a Hooded Robin while driving slowly towards the gate. I was out of the park at 10:50am. 32 species in all, and plenty of bird activity up until about 9:30am. A really pleasant morning! No lifers, but I increased my 2012 year tally to 166. Only 234 to go to reach my target of 400 for the year! Onwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment